Babingtons is owned and run by Maggie Babington. This tranquil holiday cottage has recently been upgraded and reflects Maggie's passions for Art, Interior Design, History, Geology and the Scottish Borders.
Her family over the centuries has had a rich history, including some notable forbears. Originally from France, the de Babingtons settled in Northumberland in the 12th Century. Their motto, Foy est Tout - Faith is All was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottos with arms first began to be shown in the 14th and 15th centuries, and were not in general use until the 17th century.
- Anthony Babington (1561-1586) was convicted of plotting the assassination of Elizabeth 1 and conspiring with the imprisoned Mary Queen of Scots.
- Benjamin Guy Babington (1794- 1866) was a British Physician and Epidemiologist.
- Charles Cardale Babington (1808-1895) an English botanist and archaeologist was made a fellow of the Royal Society in 1851.
- Sub Lieutenant John Babington GC (1911-1922) was awarded the George Cross for "great gallantry and undaunted devotion" in defusing bombs during World War 11.
- Air Marshall Sir Philip Babington KCB, MC, AFC (1894-1965) was a Royal Air Force Officer who became Air Officer Commanding-in-Chief of Flying Training Command.
- Lieutenant General Sir James Melville Babington KCB, KCMG (1854-1936) was Maggie's grandfather, and was one of the most respected British Generals in the First World War. He was in command of the 23 Division, part of Kitcheners Army. He lived at Pinnacle Hill, Kelso.
With Maggie's love of art, and especially crystals, she is particularly interested in William Babington FRS, FGS (1756-1864), an eminent Anglo-Irish physician and mineralogist. William Babington completed his medical education at Guys Hospital and Aberdeen University, and was a founder member of the Geological Society and Hunter Societies. He was the curator of the enormous mineral collection of John Stuart, 3rd Earl of Bute, and when he died he bought the collection for the nation which is now in the British Museum. In 1824 the mineral Babingtonite was named after him.
Eminently distinguished for science, beloved for the simplicity of his manners and the benevolence of his heart, there is a bust of him in the Royal College of Physicians, London, 1839 and by public subscription a statue of him in St. Pauls Cathedral London by William Behnes (1795-1864). His son Benjamin Guy Babington was also physician to Guys Hospital and his daughter Martha married the physician Richard Bright.
"Babingtonite crystallizes form short prismatic or plate-like crystals which range in colour from green to black-brown.
Babingtonite has been used to facilitate ascension, providing for a viewing of ones life on this plane ("this time around"). It can be used during 'rebirthing' sessions to enhance ones understanding of both the blockages which are removed and the reasons for which they existed.
The mineral can be used to overcome shyness in speech and to rectify a negative outlook with respect to possessions and the worldly aspect of one's character.
It provides for grounding to communicative skills and activates and energises the heart chakra, culminating in the actualisation of ones ability to verbalise with subtlety and alacrity.
It can be used in the treatment of disorders of the thyroid, to eliminate restrictions with the structures of the veins, and to ameliorate distressed conditions related to the throat and heart. It also enhances the sense of taste.
Vibrates to the master number 55."
Information from 'Love is in the Earth, a Kaleidoscope of Crystals' by Melody.