Coldstream is situated by the Tweed between Scotland and England, on the border which was created in 1018. Joining the two countries the town grew around a ford but after the bridge was built in 1766 by John Smeaton the ford was not longer utilised. Marriage houses existed around the border including the famous Gretna Green. One such exists on Coldstream Bridge where marriages were performed. The town houses the museum of the Coldstream Guards, the oldest regiment in the army, their motto "Nulli Secundus" meaning "Second to none". Every year, in Civic week, there is a rideout to Flodden.
The ancient town centre, with the largest cobbled market square in Scotland, was described by Sir Walter Scott as "the most beautiful, if not the most romantic town in Scotland". By the river Tweed, it boasts of world class salmon fishing, the ancient Kelso Abbey, and the Visitors Centre in the town hall.
Just north of the Eildon Hill, generally pluralized into Eildon Hills because of its three peaks, Melrose was the original site recorded by the Venerable Bede of a Monastery. The Abbey, one of the most beautiful monastic ruins in Great Britain, was re-founded for the Cistercian order by David I and is the site of the burial of the heart of the Scottish King Robert the Bruce.
The pretty market town is dominated by a magnificent 12th century Augustinian Abbey. The young Mary Queen of Scots arrived in 1566 to hold a Circuit Court in the Bastel House and journeyed to Hermitage Castle to Lord Bothwell who had been wounded there. The 19th century Jail is on the original site of the Castle of Jedburgh. You can follow a town trail of Bonnie Prince Charlie, Sir Walter Scott, Robert Burns and William Wordsworth who all walked the ancient streets of Jedburgh.
Situated in Northumberland it is the most northern town in England. Founded as an Anglo-Saxon settlement and for 400 years it has been central to the border war between England and Scotland. Traditionally a market town it has some interesting architectural features including its medieval town walls, its Elizabethan ramparts and Britain's earliest barrack's buildings (1712-21) by Nicholas Hawksmoor.